Now that our book on SharePoint 2007 is complete, we have been getting quite a few people asking when it will be released and if any portions will be available before launch for review. Unfortunately at this point, the book is out of our hands and going through the very final editing and printing process. However apparently small portions of the book will be released in article format over the next few months on the WROX site to give people a chance to check out a few of the concepts ahead of time. So if you go to the site now, you will be able to read a short article that will guide you through an explanation and the usage of the Approval workflow in MOSS 2007.
For those of you out there that are just getting started with SharePoint or might be expected to become the next guru in your organization for using the out of the box features of SharePoint and customizing them to meet your specific organization’s goals – this book should help get you on your way. One of the things I have always liked about this particular WROX series is the hands on learning style which is why I was thrilled to have the opportunity to write such a book for SharePoint. Of course it helped that I had such a great writing partner too! Anyhow for those of you wondering what the book covers, I have include the Table of Contents below. As you will see we covered a little bit of everything.
1. Getting Started with Microsoft Office SharePoint Server.
2. Working with SharePoint Lists.
3. Working with SharePoint Libraries.
4. Managing and Customizing Lists and Libraries.
5. Working with Workflow.
6. Working with Content Types.
7. Working with Web Parts.
8. Working with Sites and Workspaces.
9. User Management, Audiences and Profiles.
10. Working with Forms Services.
11. Working with Excel Services.
12. Working with the Business Data Catalog.
13. Getting Started with Web Content Management.
14. Understanding Search.
Appendix. Answers to Exercises.
Also as Jim Minatel points out on the WROX blog, there are quite a few new books coming down the line for SharePoint. It is really awesome to see such an awesome range of material coming available this early in the game.